Monday, October 27, 2014

Let's Talk About Prayer

I am a Christian. I love God, and He owns my heart. Yet, I notice I do not nearly spend enough time with Him. Prayer, so simple and it can be done at virtually any moment in our day yet I find my mind consumed and I don’t take the time out I should mentally to just talk to God.

He asks us to talk to Him, get to know Him and I continually feel I put Him on a shelf. It’s sad cause even in day to day life with my husband and daughter this happens between us all as well.
He wants our relationship with Him to be real like the ones with have with our family and friends but even closer. Deeper.
I can only believe the closer I get to Him the closer I will be to my husband in our marriage and present with him and our daughter being a better wife and mom.
So let’s take a moment and see what the Bible has to say a bit about prayer:

Philippians 4:6-7 ESV

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

James 5:16 ESV

Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

Ephesians 6:18 ESV 

Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 ESV

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
_____________________________________________________________
Not only does God want us to pray, but he wants us to pray with intention. Not going through the motions, but really being present. We can talk to people in the same way and not truly be talking to them. Just going through the motions saying yeah at the right moment, but somewhere else in our mind. In the same way if who we are talking to figures this out it hurts them usually. It hurts God as well.
Also, do I want to go through life blind? Not at all. I am human and do not always make good decisions or see things as they really are. If I stay in close communion with God He will open my eyes to see things differently and notice things I normally wouldn't and make wiser decisions.
Luke 6:39-40 says “Can the blind guide the blind? Won’t they both fall into a pit? A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher.”—I would much rather be like my Teacher then follow the world of the end off a cliff. Remember how your mom would say when we were younger “if your friend jumped off a cliff would you do it too?” In the same way we need to be careful who we are following.
I want to bless my Father, my husband, my daughter, my family, my friends and even strangers. I need God’s help to be successful in this so I truly do bless and not harm them. Also, I desperately need God’s help in just talking to people, it is not something that comes easily or naturally to me. Phil is my Aaron. He speaks usually for me, but he can’t always.
God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment